Wednesday, April 7, 2010

long lost relative???


“Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name.” - Holly Golightly

For my accounting class this quarter (integrated decision making) we had a creative writing assignment to do this week. Don't ask me what creative writing has to do with accounting because I have no idea. I am just going with it. As part of the assignment we had to write about a person with whom we have no obvious relationship and list ways that character is like you. I chose Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Here is a little excerpt of what I wrote...

Holly Golightly, played by Audrey Hepburn, is the main character in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s which was adapted from a novel by Truman Capote. This character is someone I can relate with in my life almost 70 years after the movie takes place. Now just to be clear, I am not a prostitute nor is that a career goal of mine. I do not get paid to go on dates with men and I do not get paid to carry information for a narcotics ring from a man in prison to his contacts on the outside. I do have an affinity for Tiffany’s and I get a little smile on my face every time I see one of those special blue boxes. Parting, socializing, shopping, a love of Tiffany’s and some general flightiness are just some of the characteristics that are typically used to describe Holly Golightly. But there is so much more to the character and I think she and I share a lot of similar qualities.

Holly Golightly is a complicated character; she isn’t just one thing. Publiclly she portrays herself as a party girl – beautiful, fun-loving, mysterious, confident, witty and self reliant. But on the inside she is shy and scared and really trying to find herself. She is constantly battling within herself. There is a part of her that longs for a simple existence but there is another part that loves money and everything that money brings to her life. And I think that is where I relate with her the most. There is a part of me that is still trying to discover who I am and the direction that I want my life to take. I am hoping people won’t judge me and the person I am without really taking an opportunity to get to know me. At the end of the movie, Holly finds love and finds herself. She learns that she can be a little bit of both sides of her personality. She can love the finer things in life but appreciate sentimental value. I see a little bit of myself in all of the character traits she portrays. I love having fun and I try to be confident (although that is something I am definitely still working on) but there are parts of me that love simplicity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment