Friday, March 26, 2010

musicals...



After writing about my love of books, I realized my dorkiness goes even deeper than a love of reading. I also love musicals. One of my most favorite things to do is going to see a show. In my lifetime I have probably seen over 20 performances but it never gets old. There are the old standbys that I could see over and over again and sometimes I do (Grease, Rent, Les Miserables, Annie). I have seen each of these multiple times and yet every time one of them comes back to Chicago I find myself rushing to get tickets. Last night I went to see Billy Elliot and someone was asking the group what everyone's favorite musical was. For me, it is a really hard choice but if I am forced to choose then I would say I have two favorites - Wicked and Beauty and the Beast. Wicked had a really long run in Chicago and while it was here I saw it twice. I really think I could see it over and over. The music is amazing. It has the types of songs that you can listen to over and over - and i do! I love the story and the production is amazing. Beauty and the Beast is definitely my other favorite. It also has amazing music and the costumes are incredible. This one holds a special place in my heart because it reminds me of being a kid. I remember seeing it with my family and being completely blown away by the whole production of it all. So with this love of musicals, the dorkiness only deepens. But I have learned to embrace my inner dorkiness and I absolutely plan to see Wicked again when it comes back to Chicago this winter!

3 comments:

  1. I have to go with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with Donnie Osmond. And Avenue Q a close second. Avenue Q is coming to Chicago in May for a very limited run. Got Like a week. It is a little vulgar and contains muppet sex so its not suitable for all audiences. I understand once you go muppet, you never go back to puppet. Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love musicals!! I got a showtune for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked is my fav! I can't wait til it comes back to Phoenix - I think I'm in for a long wait. I might have to go find it somewhere, maybe Chicago??

    ReplyDelete